Communicating Ideas by Visualnewbie & Associates is the official home for the latest news and updates of:
Lapada Solutions // Lapada Gallery // Communicating Ideas // Visualnewbie // Spotees
... and more. Design. Toys. Life. About anything and everything, especially food. Welcome to my world ...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Follow me on Instagram @visualnewbie

One of My Favorite Quotes...

“The Master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence in whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he is always doing both.”

Monday, July 21, 2008

My custom domain on Blogger and issues...

I originally had my domain, CommunicatingIdeas.com, just pointing to my blog address, visualnewbie.blogspot.com. At first, I felt that was enough for me. After giving it some thought, I decided to just convert the blog to use the custom domain feature on Blogger. After all, I purchased the domain and might as well put it to more use. It’s also not a matter of looking more professional like others may say, but because I wanted to. My constant quest to improve my blog...

The directions provided by Blogger’s Help Center section were pretty straight forward. But I thought that was too easy and also did a search on Google and found other bloggers blogging about this subject. Sure enough, the directions were similar and I went ahead and took this task head on.

I already bought my domain name through GoDaddy. I accessed the DNS settings and created a CNAME record. The directions to get to this point provided by Blogger and other bloggers are straight to the point and I would go to those and follow them. There is no sense in me copying their step-by-step when they did a good job at it.

But here is what got me confused. When you click on “Add New CNAME Record” in your Domain Manager, you come to two areas where you fill in, “Name” and “Host Name”. Pretty straight forward right? Well I understood the “Host Name” and entered it (ghs.google.com). The “Name”, I actually entered www.communicatingideas.com. It usually takes time for the changes to take an effect. I know it states it can take 24-48 hours, but that was worst case scenario. In my experience, it averages around a few hours. After a full night, the next morning the domain was still not working and was just parked on GoDaddy. I knew something was not right. The problem was I wasn’t supposed to enter www.communicatingideas.com, I was only supposed to enter “www”. In less than an hour, my blog was back and online.

I know that the other sites directions said to enter “www”, but it wasn’t clear. The whole time I was waiting for my blog to come back online I kept going back to the directions to see if I did everything and not miss anything. That whole “www” still confused me. I took “www” as a general word for your domain or to make sure to add the “www” as the prefix of your domain. That morning when it didn’t work I realized that it was supposed to be only the letters “www”. The directions weren’t wrong; I just wished that it was clearer.

Now it works... hopefully my experience will help those who had trouble just like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...